Two-Week Capacity Building Programme on Research Methodology for Faculty Members in Social Sciences
March 7-18, 2018
Organised by: Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Sponsored by Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), New Delhi
The objective of the course is to develop research capabilities among young faculty and turn completed research into publishable material in the form of journal articles/books. Specifically, the objectives will be to:
- Develop capacity for conceptualising and writing research proposals.
- Enhance skills to prepare an appropriate research design, including conducting an overview of literature, formulating research questions and hypotheses, collection of information and analysis
- Enhance level of competency for writing a research paper/review of books for publication.
- Develop the capacity for planning and writing a book.
Capacity Building is much more than training and includes the following:
- Human Resource Development: The process of equipping individuals with the understanding, skills and access to information, knowledge and training that enables them to perform effectively.
- Organizational Development: The elaboration of management structures, processes and procedures, not only within organizations, but also the management of relationships between the different organizations and sectors (public, private and community)
- Institutional and Legal Framework Development: Making legal and regulatory changes to enable organizations, institutions and agencies at all levels and in all sectors to enhance their capacities
Eligibility: The course will be open to all faculty members of social science disciplines in research institutions, colleges and university postgraduate departments. Participants should have a minimum of a post-graduate degree.
An applicant must show evidence of her/his research aptitude and s/he should submit her/his academic details in the registration form (downloadable from the CB 2018 website) including her/his academic plan to engage in research and publication after undertaking the course.
A person engaged in teaching and research in rural areas will be preferred. At least 33 per cent of the participants should be women. Applicant belonging to SCs, STs, OBCs and minorities should be given preference. Person with disabilities should also be given preference. The duly filled-in application form must be accompanied by the following: (a) 400-word write-up on the research and publication plan after the workshop, (b) 400-word write-up on any book/research report/article that s/he has read in the past year and (c) 200-word write-up on how research engagement will influence her/his teaching and engagement with the students.
Financial Support: There is no registration fee. Travel allowance by AC 3-tier train (shortest route) and bus will be reimbursed on the production of valid tickets.
Accommodation: Shortlisted candidates will be provided free accommodation facility in IIT Guwahati guesthouse. Faculty members of social science disciplines in research institutions, colleges and university postgraduate departments from NE region as well as SC/ST category are encouraged to apply.
Selection: Intake of participants for the course will be restricted to 30. The selection of candidates will be done as per the ICSSR guidelines. Decision of the Selection Committee in this regard is final. Those who are interested to attend the course must submit their application in the prescribed format (enclosed) to the address mentioned below or by email to email@example.com latest by January 20, 2018. Decision on selection will be displayed on the event website by January 25, 2018. Applicants must confirm their participation in CB 2018 by January 31, 2018. Application and details of the programme can also be downloaded from http://www.iitg.ernet.in/sambit/cb2018/registration.html.