Call for Submissions
New Due date: Extended to Wednesday, July 1st, 2015
2015 STM Graduate Paper Prize
The Science, Technology, and Medicine (STM) interest group of the Society for Medical Anthropology is pleased to welcome submissions for the 2015 STM Graduate Student Paper Prize. This prize is awarded annually for a paper that offers an innovative approach to issues in science, technology, and medicine. These issues include:
1. How scientific research, technological transformation and professional medicine inform public health policy and popular culture and affect the intimate realms of bodily experience;
2. The ways laboratory and experimental medicine (both public and private sector) are influenced by economic and political institutions and patient mobilization;
3. The specificities of the development, regulation, marketing and distribution of pharmaceuticals and biologics;
4. How local experiences of illness and health are refracted through established modes of discrimination (such as class, race and gender) and unequal access to new medical technologies; and
5. The extent to which pragmatic and embodied responses to medical science and technology shape concepts of personhood and degrees of political membership.
• The word count should be 6,000-8,000
• All authors must be enrolled as a graduate students at the time of submission
• Winners of previous STM graduate paper prizes are not eligible to submit new papers
• The paper can be under review at the time of submission, but it cannot be in press or published
• To enable a blind review process, the submission email should include two word documents: (1) a cover sheet with author name, affiliation(s) and acknowledgments, and (2) the paper (abstract included) with no identifying information listed.
The winner of the prize will be announced at the 2015 AAA Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. The winner will receive an award certificate or plaque, detailed suggestions from the committee of judges on ways to prepare the article for publication, and a cash prize of $100 (or $75 in case of two winners).
Submissions should now be emailed by Wednesday, July 1st, 2015 to Nayantara (Tara) Sheoran, email@example.com
For more information on the STM interest group, go to: www.medanthro.net/research/stm/index.html.