Institute on Internet and Society
With financial support and visionary guidance from the Ford Foundation, this initiative represents an important opportunity to bring together various stakeholders in a neutral forum and share ideas.
This is a week-long residential institute which will cover topics surrounding and exploring the gamut of internet and society. Various topics that explore the ambit and the intersection between Internet and Society will be explored with guest speakers and experts in these fields anchoring the sessions. The lectures will be insightful and few, with interesting case studies and interactive modes of teaching. There will be breakout sessions where participants will get the chance to partake in interactive technology sessions and instructive demonstrations.
There will be off-site experiences where the participants can go on field trips and view the actual spaces that will be discussed.
The institute will feature:
- Guest lectures by experts and CIS staff.
- Interactive panel discussions.
- Case studies.
- Breakout sessions.
- Interactive demonstrations.
- Networking opportunities, field trips/off-site experience and much more...
At the end of the course, attendees will have:
- Acquisition of knowledge on internet in the Indian society.
- Appreciation of the role of community and other stakeholders in issues surrounding the internet.
- Creation of a starting point for improved communication of research findings, innovations, information and new technologies in internet to evolve a community comprising academicians and policy makers.
- Appreciation of the need to bridge the gap between policy and implementation.
Who can apply?
Any members from the civil society (students, research scholars, academicians, scientists, legal professionals, etc.) who engage in issues concerning Internet and Society.
How to apply?
The application form available at http://internet-institute.in/form needs to completed in all respects and uploaded along with a brief bio and a 250-300 word abstract on why the applicant feels he/she must attend the Institute on Internet and Society.
- Originality of application.
- Evidence of interest and/or prior engagement in Internet and Society related research and policies.
- Gender, regional and stakeholder representation.
Twenty participants shall be chosen to attend the Institute on a first come, first served basis. Please ensure that your applications are submitted to CIS well before the closing date.
Attendance for the full duration of the Institute (February 11 to February 17, 2014) is mandatory. Please provide assurance that you will be able to commit to the full duration of the institute.
What costs will be covered?
CIS has a limited number of scholarships that will cover the course fees, travel, accommodation and food. Please note that scholarships will be given on a first come first serve basis to deserving applicants and is available for persons based within India.
- Registrations Open: November 15, 2013
- Registrations Close: December 6, 2013
About CIS India and Ford Foundation
CIS critically engages with concerns of digital pluralism, public accountability and pedagogic practices, in the field of Internet and Society, with particular emphasis on South-South dialogues and exchange.
Through multidisciplinary research, intervention, and collaboration, we seek to explore, understand, and affect the shape and form of the internet, and its relationship with the political, cultural, and social milieu of our times.
The Ford Foundation supports visionary leaders and organizations on the frontlines of social change worldwide. Their goals for more than half a century have been to:
- Strengthen democratic values
- Reduce poverty and injustice
- Promote international cooperation
- Advance human achievement
The Ford Foundation believes all people should have the opportunity to reach their full potential, contribute to society, and have voice in the decisions that affect them.
- Dr. Nirmita Narasimhan, Policy Director (email@example.com)
- Ajoy Kumar, Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Anirudh Sridhar, Consultant (email@example.com)
Further Details: http://internet-institute.in/