2009 International Essay Contest for Young People Organized by The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO
Theme: "The Role of Science in Building a Better World"
Scientific progress has brought many benefits to humanity, while some applications of science have had adverse impacts. What kind of science and technology do you think is needed for realizing a more equitable, prosperous and sustainable world for all? Please express your vision for the future of science, including examples of studies or researches you wish to engage in. The United Nations has designated 2001-2010 as the "International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World" and 2005-2014 as the "United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development." Not only should young people benefit from these global initiatives, but they should be empowered to play a leading role in them. The theme of this year's International Essay Contest is "The role of science in building a better world." Young people from around the world are invited to submit their innovative ideas on this theme.
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 30, 2009) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 - 25)
2. Essays must be 800 words or less, typed or printed in English, French, Spanish or German.
3. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or e-mail. (Email entries must be in text or MS Word format, with the cover page and essay sent together as one document.)
4. Essays must be original and unpublished.
5. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
6. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
Entries must be received by June 30, 2009.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$1,000) ... 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$500) ... 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift ... 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift ... 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for November 2009. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers.)
Please send your entries to:
International Essay Contest
c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku,
Tokyo 102-0093 Japan